Youth Led Participatory Budgeting
Eat pizza & decide which projects get a slice of the budget.
Young people are taking a lead on improving their local community! Following a series of projects with Creative City, young people in Bolton, in Greater Manchester, are taking the future of their community into their own hands!
At this innovative participatory budgeting event, we invite young people aged 11 – 18 who live in Tonge Moor, Tonge Fold or The Haulgh to use their voice and help decide which projects should receive a slice of the budget.
The event will take place:
On Monday 4th November 2019, from 12noon to 2.30pm
At St Chads Church, Longworth Street, Tonge Fold, BL2 6AW
People & groups will pitch their ideas and young people will vote on how local money should be spent.
Pitch your idea!
We'd love you to apply to pitch your idea at the Community Slice event!
Your project must benefit the community of Tonge with The Haulgh, Bolton.
Online applications form:
What kind of project can I apply for?
In order to be invited to pitch your event, your project needs to be linked to one or more of these 9 areas of focus:
- Clean Places
- People to look up to
- Things to do
- Feeling Safe
- Hope for our future
- Including everyone
- Feeling Well
- Having a voice in our community
- Having a voice in our everyday life
How much can I apply for?
You can apply for one of the following amounts of funding: £1000, £600, £300 or £100
The total amount of money that will be granted to projects at the Community Slice event is £4000
Who can apply?
We want to hear from anyone with a great idea for improving the local community. For example, you can apply if you are:
- A young person or group of young people living in Tonge with the Haulgh
- A local community group, charity or not-for- profit organisation
- A local school
- A local business
- A local faith group
- A health centre
- A parent group
- An artist
- A sports coach
If you are an individual that isn’t connected to an established group who has experience of working with children and young people, we will help link you to an organisation and to a Community Slice Mentor who can help you to bring your project to life!
What is a Community Slice Mentor?
Anyone who receives funding for youth projects must be connected to an organisation that has experience of working with children, like a youth club, school, sports centre or youth charity. We can help match you to an organisation and find you a mentor. We will talk to your mentor about the policies and plans they have in place to help you keep you and everyone who takes part safe before the project goes ahead. Feel free to get in touch with us before applying to discuss this.
What kind of bank account do I need?
The money can only be awarded to a community group or business bank account. We can not pay money into personal bank accounts. But we can help match you to a group and mentor to work with who has the right kind of structure and bank account to receive the money and help you make your project happen.
How should I submit my application form?
There is an online version of this form that can be found at
Alternatively, fill in the paper form in this booklet and send us a scan or a clear photo of it by email to
When is the application deadline?
You need to return your completed application by 28th October 2019 at 4PM. We will then contact you on or around 31st October 2019 to let you know whether you have been selected to pitch your idea.
Do I have to give a presentation?
If the panel of young people shortlist your idea, you’ll be asked to pitch your idea at the Community Slice event. You would have 4 minutes to make your presentation.
The event is on Monday 4th November 2019, 12 - 2.30pm, at St Chads Church, Longworth Street, Tonge Fold, BL2 6AW
There will be a presentation support session on 2nd November 2019 from 1 to 3PM at Tonge UCAN.
Who decides if my project gets funded?
All of the young people attending the event will be voting to decide which projects should get funding.
Who should I contact if I have more questions?
Contact us using: or 07496958639 / 07496084487 or direct message us on Instagram using @CreativeCityGM
Community Slice Magazine
We've put together a magazine with young people from the area, crammed full of their creative work, thoughts and ideas!
The magazine shows the journey of this project. This was:
1) we started out with a Citizen's Jury project with 18 young people from the area. This involved meeting local decision makers and quizzing them about their work, exploring creatively, discussing and debating the issues affecting the group, causes, solutions and setting recommendations for what would make the are a better place for young people to live.
2) we got to work putting some of those recommendations into practice, using creativity to celebrate role models, using film to inspire people to be themselves and creating more opportunities for youth involvement in decision making. This process has engaged more than 50 more young people into the project.
3) working with our partners at Tonge with The Haulgh Big Local, we then made it possible for all of the young people involved to take a direct decision making role through a participatory budgeting project which allows young people to host a participatory budgeting event, pitch their ideas and vote on which local projects should be funded. We are extremely excited to see how this innovative, youth-led pilot project pans out. Direct democracy in action! Led by young people, for young people.
Take a look at this good news publication, setting out a vision for the future and a call to get involved...